The 2022 Ram 1500 Crew Cab has earned the TOP SAFETY PICK rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) for 2022.
The rating applies to models equipped with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) technology and adaptive LED projector headlamps with high-beam assist, and it reprises the truck’s performances in 2021 and 2020.
“The Ram 1500 Crew Cab’s winning streak underlines our ongoing pledge to deliver exceptional vehicle safety,” said Mike Koval Jr., head of Ram brand. “Our customers use their trucks to provide for their families or help their communities. We want them to do so, safely.”
The IIHS revised its ratings system in 2020 to include a greater emphasis on lighting and AEB. The Ram 1500 Crew Cab’s AEB system, which is standard equipment on Rebel, Laramie, Limited Longhorn, Limited 10th Anniversary and TRX models, earned “superior” rating – the highest possible IIHS grade.
The system is enabled by sensor-fusion technology, which combines camera capabilities with radar sensors to help determine if a frontal impact with another vehicle appears imminent. If, after multiple alerts, the driver does not respond to the potential risk, the system deploys the vehicle’s brakes to help avoid impact or reduce its severity.
Central to the truck’s TOP SAFETY PICK rating was its performance in six IIHS crashworthiness tests that included three types of frontal crashes. The remaining tests inflict damage consistent with a side impact, rear impact and a rollover.
The 2022 Ram 1500 Crew Cab achieved the highest possible score in each.
Ram Truck Brand
In 2009, the Ram Truck brand launched as a stand-alone division, focused on meeting the demands of truck buyers and delivering benchmark-quality vehicles. With a full lineup of trucks, the Ram 1500, 2500/3500 Heavy Duty, 3500/4500/5500 Chassis Cab, ProMaster and ProMaster City, the Ram brand builds trucks that get the hard work done and families where they need to go.
Ram is the number one brand in new vehicle quality and is the only truck-exclusive brand to ever finish first in J.D. Power’s Initial Quality Study (2021), which tracks new vehicle performance over the first three months of ownership. In the same study, Ram Heavy Duty models also scored best, making Ram the number-one truck brand in new vehicle quality among large heavy-duty pickups.
In addition, the latest J.D. Power APEAL study – which rates the emotional bond between customers and their vehicles – named the 2021 Ram 1500 as the best vehicle in the large light-duty pickup category. This marks the second straight year Ram 1500 has received top honors.
The 2022 Ram 1500 lineup includes the Know & Go mobile app featuring an immersive experience for customers who want to learn more about their vehicles.
Ram continues to outperform the competition and sets the benchmarks for:
- 1,075 lb.-ft. of torque with Cummins Turbo Diesel
- Towing capacity of 37,090 lbs. with Ram 3500
- Segment first 1,000 lb.-ft of torque with Cummins Turbo Diesel
- Payload of 7,680 lbs. with Ram 3500
- Most luxurious: Ram Limited with real wood, real leather and 12-inch Uconnect touchscreen
- Best ride and handling with exclusive link coil rear and auto-level air suspensions
- Most interior space with Ram Mega Cab
- The most cargo space available in any traditional full size cargo van
- Most capable full-size off-road pickup – Ram Power Wagon
- Ram 1500, America’s most powerful half-ton diesel pickup with 480 lb.-ft. of torque, achieves an unsurpassed 33 mpg highway and delivers up to 1,000 miles of range on a single tank of fuel
- Ram 1500 TRX is the quickest, fastest and most powerful mass-produced pickup truck in the world
- Most awarded light-duty truck in America
- Highest owner loyalty of any half-ton pickup