The arrival of the new C evolution marks the start of a new chapter in the urban mobility segment for BMW Motorrad. The two conventionally powered maxi scooter models – the C 600 Sport and C 650 GT – already succeed in combining the superb ride qualities of a motorcycle with the specific agility of a scooter and the design’s inherent comfort. The new electrically powered C evolution now goes even further by fusing riding fun and dynamism with the benefits of zero-emission performance to create a whole new experience on two wheels.
In keeping with the BMW Group’s sustainability strategy, BMW Motorrad is taking a fully committed approach to electric mobility. As with BMW i, development of the C evolution revolved around creating a visionary vehicle concept offering maximum everyday practicality and an inspirational design.
The C evolution is powered by a drivetrain swing arm with liquid-cooled permanent magnet synchronous motor via a toothed belt and ring gearing. The rated power output is 11 kW (15 hp), with a peak output of 35 kW (47 hp). This enables the C evolution to achieve a top speed of 120 km/h (75 mph, electronically limited) and gives it better acceleration than some maxi scooters powered by engines with displacements of 600 cc or more.
The generous 8 kWh capacity of the air-cooled lithium-ion high-voltage battery allows the two-wheeler to cover a range of up to 100 kilometres (62 miles) before it needs to be charged from any domestic mains supply. When plugged in to a standard 220V domestic socket with a 12A charge current, recharging fully from empty takes around 4 hours (with 220V / 16A = 3 h).
The highlights at a glance:
• Innovative electric drive system via drivetrain swing arm with liquid-cooled permanent magnet synchronous motor, toothed belt and ring gearing.
• Rated power output 11 kW (homologated according to ECE R85) and 35 kW peak output.
• Maximum torque 72 Nm (53 lb-ft).
• Top speed 120 km/h (75 mph).
• Acceleration 0 – 50 km/h (31 mph) in 2.7 s.
• Acceleration 0 – 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.2 s.
• High range of 100 kilometres (62 miles) in practical operation.
• 4 ride modes available to choose from: Road, Eco Pro, Sail and Dynamic.
• Reversing aid for supremely easy manoeuvring.
• Torque Control Assist (TCA).
• High-voltage battery with high capacity of 8 kWh and innovative air cooling.
• Intelligent recuperation when coasting and when braking.
• Recharged from the domestic mains supply.
• Takes just 4 h to charge to 100 % capacity at 220V / 12A (220V / 16A = 3 h).
• Synergies with BMW Automobile harnessed during development.
• Electrical safety to passenger car standards.
• Hybrid chassis with agile handling due to low centre of gravity.
• Powerful braking system with ABS.
• Large TFT colour display.
• LED daytime running light and sidelight.
• Inspirational colour scheme and design.
VIDEO BELOW: BMW C Evolution in action
Support the Everyman Driver Team with a virtual ‘Gas Card’ via Paypal below:
CONNECT WITH EVERYMAN DRIVER:
CLICK HERE — Subscribe & Listen on iTunes
CLICK HERE – Subscribe & Listen on Stitcher
CLICK HERE – Subscribe to Everyman Driver on Youtube
CLICK HERE – Subscribe to the EMD News Channel on Youtube
CLICK HERE – Subscribe to Everywoman Driver on Youtube
CLICK HERE – Follow Everyman Driver on Pinterest
CLICK HERE – Join Everyman Driver on Facebook
CLICK HERE – Follow Everyman Driver on Twitter
EMD Podcast Hotline: 858-848-1846
Email us at EverymanDriver@Gmail.com.