The all-new 2021 Genesis G80 sedan reimagines the brand’s core design, technology and emotive identity. Following its virtual debut in Seoul in March, Genesis is now completely focused on bringing this balanced and innovative new model to market.
“The core of our brand lies within the G80,” said William Lee, Executive Vice President and Global Head of the Genesis Brand. “This segment represents where we started and we’re pleased that our newest offering achieves a perfect balance of discerning luxury and inspiring performance for our customers.”
A Luxury Competitor, Regarded for Quality, Safety
Since its 2015 launch, Genesis has expanded its presence in the global luxury car market to include the U.S., Canada, Russia, Australia and the Middle East in addition to South Korea.
Several recent accolades for the Genesis brand include:
- J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS): Genesis ranked #1 in 2020 debut appearance
- J.D. Power Initial Quality Study (IQS): Genesis ranked # 1 premium brand for four years in a row
- IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK +: TSP+ across entire lineup (G70, G80, G90)
Athletic Elegance, Elevated
The story of the G80 begins with the brand’s emblem which inspires the Crest Grille and Quad Lamps, the distinctive face of every Genesis.
“The all-new G80 is the centerpiece of our lineup perfectly weighing athletic and elegant characteristics. This represents the clearest interpretation yet of the Genesis brand identity,” said SangYup Lee, Senior Vice President, Head of Global Genesis Design. “Our goal is to offer unique, design-inspired experiences for our customers.”
The brand’s “Athletic Elegance” design philosophy produces variations in design through a carefully-considered balance between its namesake’s opposing characteristics. While other Genesis models lean more towards athleticism or elegance, the G80 is characterized by the perfect balance in between, as the core of the model range.
The front view embodies a distinguished but modern look, featuring the Crest Grille and double-lined Quad Lamp signature design elements. The two line graphics extend beyond the headlamps, into the rear fenders and the taillamps, encompassing all sides of the vehicle.
On the side, the Parabolic Line, which begins at the front Quad Lamp and gradually runs lower to the rear through the top of the door, is inspired by the elegant look of several venerable classic cars. This elegant line is counter-balanced by athletic “power lines” emphasizing the fender volume and the upfitted 20-inch wheels. In addition, the chrome trim beginning from behind the front wheels stretches out along the bottom of the door, crosses the side sills and swells upwards to the rear, strengthening forward visual motion.
The rear view features a dramatic, tapered look – highlighted by a sloping decklid and rear Quad Lamps which visually link to those in front. Chrome decor at the top of the trunk stretches the full width repeating the theme of the Genesis emblem, while the dual exhaust finishers reference the Crest Grille design.
The Luxury of Space
The interior design of the G80 responds to the changing times where dominance of technology and information is no longer considered a luxury experience. Based on the “Beauty of White Space” concept inspired by traditional Korean architecture, priority is placed on the careful balance of personal space with state-of-the-art technology. This allowed the design team to optimize the layout of needed controls with calming, luxurious surfaces.
Visibility was enhanced by minimizing A-pillar thickness and rearview mirror dimensions, utilizing flag type side mirrors and reducing dashboard height. The resulting ‘panoramic view’ gives the driver a relaxed view of the road ahead and the sense of openness when seated.
Dividing the steering wheel into upper and lower halves, Genesis distinguishes the upper (panoramic area) and lower part (control area) to optimize intuitive use of the vehicle as well as the view ahead.
The steering wheel and sleek, thin air vents run across the passenger compartment splitting it into the panoramic area above and the control area below.
In the panoramic area, a heads-up display, a 12.3-inch instrument cluster and a 14.5-inch infotainment system display necessary information while driving.
The control area is equipped with an intuitive suite of interfaces: a Genesis integrated controller for HVAC controls, a rotary-operated electronic shift dial and touch-and-write infotainment system. The number of hard buttons and switches was intentionally kept to a minimum, both for aesthetic purposes and ease of use.
G80’s leading interior space has been further developed. Both headroom and legroom were increased by lowering the seating height of the second row, allowing for both more interior room and a more dramatic roofline. Completing the space, the G80 features leather seating and steering wheel surfaces, soft-touch fabrics and coatings as well as open pore wood trim finishes.
Luxury Begins with the Right Foundation
The all-new G80 sets a new standard in executive mid-size sedan luxury and represents the core of the brand with an all-new, 3rd-generation, rear-wheel drive platform. The Genesis-exclusive platform lowers the body and the center of gravity to secure a wider cabin and improved driving stability.
With G80, the Design and Engineering Development teams set out first to build a great Genesis vehicle and second to make a world-class luxury product. In keeping with a laser-sharp client focus, a determined effort was placed on maximizing design flexibility, optimizing interior spaciousness, promising luxury and ensuring best-in-class safety.
“When you’re given a big challenge, the best thing to do is to start from a clean sheet of paper,” said Albert Biermann, President, Head of Research & Development Division at Hyundai Motor Group. “The development of an all-new platform set us up for great success, influencing everything from the expansive space of the interior to the striking design proportions.”
The all-new G80’s ability to maximize passenger comfort and design flexibility while balancing performance and safety capability all stems from its carefully engineered chassis – codenamed M3.
The G80’s rear-drive unibody structure has 6% greater tensile strength than that of the previous G80, thanks in part to increased use of high-strength steel and hot stamped parts (42% more hot stamped parts than previous.) They make up the A- and B-pillars, floor crossmembers as well as rocker panels and provide the highest possible strength through hot forming and quenching processes.
The roof crossmembers, transmission tunnel, front chassis extensions and parts of the rear structure are made of advanced high-strength steel, while the cowl, floor panels and rear parcel shelf are comprised of high-strength steel
A newly added horizontal strut brace, die-cast aluminum front and rear shock towers, and a rear subframe benefiting from rear stays and increased bushing size, further enhance rigidity and improve NVH characteristics. Organic geometry was used during the design iteration process to leverage the efficiencies of nature and obtain the lightest and strongest possible structure. The ultimate result of this material placement and optimization strategy is a platform which is 6% lighter than that of the previous G80—a 55-pound reduction.
As a result of the careful design and material choices, torsional rigidity of the new model surpasses the outgoing car by 3%. These and myriad other advancements imbue the 2021 G80 with the highest level of dynamic driving performance while maintaining the comfort, stability and safety expected of a Genesis.
When considering both the platform and the exterior body panels, the use of lightweight materials was a distinct focus. Aluminum is used for about 19 percent of the body, reducing the weight by 110 kg (243 lbs) compared to the previous car, helping to deliver improved fuel efficiency and performance.
“The all-new G80 brings all the existing strengths from the previous generations all the while upgrading the powertrain, platform and communication system with the state-of the art technologies,” said Albert Biermann, President, Head of Research & Development Division at Hyundai Motor Group. “It is a true, authentic Genesis.”
For the US market Genesis G80, two powertrains are offered:
- 2.5-liter turbocharged inline-4
- 300 HP @ 5,800 rpm
- 311 lb.-ft. from 1,650 – 4,000 rpm
- 3.5-liter turbocharged V6
- 375 HP @ 5,800 rpm
- 391 lb.-ft. from 1,300 – 4,500 rpm
Meanwhile, the 8-speed automatic transmission has been optimized for the new engines, utilizing a wider gear-ratio range for improved acceleration and efficiency. The optional all-wheel drive system has a new design focused on weight reduction and capability.
The G80 features improved door sealing, new engine compartment sound insulation and resonant sound-reducing wheels to ensure indoor quietness and class-leading, low levels of noise (NVH). In addition, the optional Electronically Controlled Suspension with Road Preview, enhances ride quality by reducing road impacts using information supplied through the front camera.
Safety – First-Ever Machine Learning Application, Segment-First Center Airbag
In keeping with the brand’s safety platform, G80 applies standard active and passive safety systems, as part of a brand-level engineering commitment to passenger security. State-of-the-art, advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) include:
- Highway Driving Assist II (HDA II): This system helps assist the driver in a wider variety of situations than before, including during lane change maneuvers when the turn signal is used, and when others merge in front of you.
- Smart Cruise Control with Machine Learning (SCC-ML): A world first, SCC-ML, as applied to the all-new Genesis GV80 SUV earlier this year, incorporates artificial intelligence (AI) within the Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) feature that helps the car to independently learn the driving characteristics of – and assist – its driver.
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA): This system may help automatically bring the G80 to a stop in certain situations where there is a risk of collision with an approaching vehicle detected on the left or right side of the intersection. G80 may also help detect potential collision risks in certain situations where a pedestrian is sensed in close proximity to the vehicle while in motion, for example.
- Blind-Spot Collision Avoidance Assist (BCA): BCA is essentially a Blind Spot Monitor with active capabilities. BCA helps reduce the chance of potential impact with a moving vehicle and may alert the driver if a vehicle is detected in the driver’s blind-spot
A complement of 10 air bags includes front and side airbags as well as a center airbag, between the front seat occupants, that helps prevent secondary contact between occupants in a side impact.
In addition, the Genesis safety platform works to integrate communications between 40+ controllers in real time to help ensure the safest response in various scenarios.
An Oasis at Any Speed
In a concept dubbed ‘Executive Oasis’ by the Genesis research, design and product teams, the all-new 2021 Genesis G80 ensures that every sight, sound and surface has been carefully crafted to please the senses and predict its clients’ needs.
Comfort inside the all-new G80 starts with ample space for every occupant, including leading headroom and legroom. An uncluttered aesthetic amplifies the expansive feeling, taking cues from the design of suspension bridges, which are both technical and organic in appearance. Wide, simple shapes, like the slim air vents and available matte-finished wood trim, create an aura of spaciousness and visual ease. The broad 14.5-inch infotainment screen and console controls feature fewer hard buttons than the previous model, reinforcing the minimalist motif.
While the uncluttered design demonstrates restraint, luxury abounds with three seating materials including optional leather and available top-grade Nappa leather. The 16-way, power adjustable, Ergo Motion Driver’s Seat feature seven air chambers each, which utilize a variety of programs to ensure maximum comfort and posture. Seat ergonomics are also optimized according to drive mode. In Comfort, the seat self-adjusts to make side support less pronounced. Sport mode introduces firmer side bolstering. Regardless of driving mode, a Smart Posture Care System recommends an ideal driving position, being careful to avoid seating positions that could induce strain, such as excessive seatback recline.
Adjusting ambient temperature is equally accommodating, with standard two-zone and available three-zone climate control featuring capacitive touch capability with tactile feedback. Heated front seats are standard while ventilated front seats and a heated steering wheel and rear seat system are available. Using the remote start engine command, all temperature settings can be adjusted before even entering the vehicle by using Genesis Connected Services smart phone application.
For ease of operability, G80’s all-new touch-sensitive multimedia controller features a concave design to better manipulate menus on the center-mounted, 14.5-inch infotainment display. Wireless phone charging (optional) and three USB ports—two front, one rear—ensure all occupants remain well connected.
Lighting is key to enjoying any environment and so the G80 offers an expansive panoramic glass roof to let light in, while power rear and manual side rear sunshades shield precious cargo from the sun. Furthermore, customizable ambient lighting not only helps set the mood, but also increases safety by changing color depending on which transmission gear is selected—red for reverse and a user-selected ambient color for drive and neutral.
An available 21-speaker Lexicon audio system brings music and other programming to life in Quantum Logic Surround sound through 14 channels and 17 locations. A five-speaker center sound bar, Kevlar-cone front midrange speakers, acoustic lenses and metal speaker grilles create precise, immersive audio, while eight-inch, under-seat subwoofers produce rich bass.
Superior fidelity depends as much on keeping unwanted sounds outside the cabin as it does on generating the right ones within. In an effort to reach leading levels of tranquility, the G80 employs acoustic glass in the windshield and front doors as standard (optional on the previous model) and three-layer sealing for all doors. Hollow two-piece wheel construction further reduces road noise and tire resonance.
With no detail overlooked, every aspect of the 2021 Genesis G80 has been painstakingly developed to create the best possible experience in its segment.
Next-Generation, Technology-Enabled Luxury
The G80 offers a high level of convenience to drivers with a suite of new technology. Each feature is focused on further and seamlessly integrating the G80 with its client’s lifestyle, devices and preferences. A selection of highlighted features includes:
- The Remote Smart Parking Assistant (RSPA) provides remote drive/reverse functions that facilitate parking in narrow spaces, as well as perpendicular parking and parallel parking. This can be controlled within the car or outside, remotely via the key fob.
- The 12.3-inch 3D instrument cluster recognizes the driver’s eyes and provides various driving information and can be converted to 2D depending on the driver’s preference.
- The Genesis Integrated Controller allows users to set destinations or enter phone numbers by simply writing on the main control center instead of complicated keyboard input.
- A 14.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system links with the Genesis Integrated Controller to support Genesis Quick Guide and Valet mode.
- Valet mode is a function that enhances security so that users’ personal information does not appear on infotainment screens when using a Valet parking service.
- Over-the-air, wireless updates to the navigation system.
- Phone connectivity including Android Auto and Apple Car Play.
With an eye toward the senses, luxury-focused items include:
- An available Ergo Motion Driver’s Seat function featuring seven air cells to optimize seating for each driving mode and reduce fatigue via a stretching mode and automatic posture correction.
- Ambient mood lamps throughout the interior add a sense of calm to the passenger space in various colors.
- Genesis has enhanced the engine’s audio signature with its Active Sound Design (ASD), standard on all G80s, adding an additional level of customization.
- The Lexicon sound system allows passengers to enjoy the vivid sound effects of a concert, such as “Quantum Logic Surround Audience Mode/Stage Mode,” making the listening experience even more engaging.
- The first row HVAC system allows the driver to adjust the heated/ventilated seats in the second row and the air conditioning mode/temperature independently of the first row, increasing the convenience for back seat passengers.
The all-new G80 reaches US showrooms in late-October with base price configurations of $47,700 (2.5T RWD Standard) and $59,100 (3.5T RWD Standard) not including a $1,025 destination fee.
Genesis Motor America
Genesis Motor America is headquartered in Fountain Valley, Calif. Genesis is a global luxury automotive brand that delivers the highest standards of performance, design and innovation. All Genesis vehicles are covered by an industry-leading warranty that includes a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty with enhanced roadside assistance and concierge services including:
- Three years/36,000 miles of complimentary scheduled maintenance
- Three years/36,000 miles of complimentary Genesis Service Valet care
- Three years of complimentary Genesis Connected Services
- Three months of complimentary SiriusXM® Satellite Radio All Access
- Three years of complimentary Annual Multimedia and Navigation Updates and lifetime complimentary traffic data via HD+ Traffic radio.
Genesis was ranked the #1 premium brand in the industry for the fourth consecutive year in JD Power’s 2020 Initial Quality Study (IQS), was named #1 overall in the J.D. Power 2020 Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) and the #2 brand in the annual Consumer Reports 2020 Report Card rankings. The Genesis G70 luxury sport sedan has won 21 major awards and accolades. Earlier this year, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) awarded all three 2020 Genesis vehicles; G70, G80 and G90 with their highest rating of Top Safety Pick+. Genesis is the only brand in the industry whose entire portfolio is Top Safety Pick+ rated.