The Pioneer 1000 is already the industry’s benchmark multipurpose side-by-side, with the best engine, drivetrain and chassis, plus the market’s only automatic six-speed Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) gearbox. For the 2017 model year, Honda added two new limited-edition versions of its popular flagship side-by-side, the Pioneer 1000-5 Limited Edition (LE) and Pioneer 1000 Limited Edition, both of which come with a new I-4WD system. Never before used in the powersports industry, this intelligent system is a direct result of Honda’s automotive-engineering prowess, and offers three great benefits: brake traction control, hill-start assist and electronic brake force distribution.
Combined with the Pioneer 1000’s Torque Biasing Limited Slip differential, I-4WD can provide as much tractive force as a locking differential but with reduced steer effort and kickback. The result is excellent traction on a wide range of challenging surfaces, a more relaxed driving experience, and no need to stop and engage diff-lock. Both LE versions of the Pioneer 1000 also come with a host of additional upgrades to improve suspension performance, protection, convenience and style, while non-LE models also get several important improvements.
- The five-person Pioneer 1000-5 LE and three-person Pioneer 1000 LE are the first powersports vehicles to come with I-4WD, an intelligent differential system that conveniently combines the four-wheel-drive and diff-lock functions into a single selection mode.
- The LE models’ I-4WD incorporates the industry’s first off-road brake traction control system to manage the amount of slip between left and right front wheels, applying torque to the wheel with greater grip. The result is excellent traction performance in tough off-road conditions, with reduced steer effort and kickback compared to standard diff-lock.
- LE models feature hill-start assist to momentarily hold the brake while transitioning to the accelerator from a dead stop on an incline, and a system that automatically optimizes brake force distribution between the front and rear brakes while coming to a stop—loaded or empty.
- All Pioneer 1000 models have a memory function that retains the last transmission mode after engaging reverse.
- All Pioneer 1000 models are powered by a 999cc parallel-twin engine with a Unicam® design like that of Honda’s legendary CRF motocross models, achieving high performance while simultaneously minimizing weight and bulk.
- High-tech “roller rockers” have a roller that contacts the cam, greatly reducing friction and wear compared to standard rocker arms.
- Longitudinal engine mounting eliminates unnecessary right angles in the driveline, ensuring an efficient transfer of power to the ground.
- Engine and exhaust system are rubber-mounted to reduce vibration and noise.
- To help the engine meet Honda’s unmatched reliability standards, the air inlet is positioned high under the hood, resulting in a clean supply of air and excellent clearance for water fording. The air-cleaner element is a viscous paper type, for exceptional filtration and a long service life.
- Six-speed automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) on all six types; those equipped with EPS also have a sport mode switch and manual paddle shifters.
- With DCT, an advanced shift logic monitors variables including throttle position and input, engine rpm, vehicle speed and brake input to determine driving style. During relaxed input, the transmission maintains a low rpm for a quiet cabin, low vibration and improved fuel efficiency. During more aggressive input, a higher rpm is held, maximizing engine torque and power. During inconsistent throttle input, transient detection logic prevents multiple up- and downshifts. When descents are detected, the transmission downshifts to provide true engine braking.
- Changing DCT modes on the fly immediately alters the character of the machine, from quiet and relaxed to exciting and powerful.
- Even in automatic mode, the driver can override the gear selection at any time by using the paddle shifters. The selected gear will be maintained for several seconds before the transmission seamlessly reverts to fully automatic shifting.
- On LE models, adjustable FOX QS3 shocks provide an exceptionally smooth ride and excellent handling; with a simple turn of a dial, customers can tune the machine for different terrains or driving styles.
- LE models receive a beefy bumper that highlights and protects the grill, while aluminum A-arm guards and a skid plate protect the vehicle against rocks and debris.
- Convenience-minded features on the LE models include illuminated dash switches for nighttime use.
- LE models come standard with new cabin-storage compartments and cup holders in all four doors.
- Style-focused features on LE models include painted bodywork, red springs and A-arms and substantial aluminum wheels.
- All versions of the Pioneer 1000 have thick seat foam for maximum comfort
- A winch-ready wiring harness comes standard on the Pioneer 1000.
- All Pioneer 1000 models boast fully independent rear suspension and long suspension travel, as well as 2,000-pound towing capacities.
- All three five-person Pioneer 1000 models once again feature the exclusive QuickFlip® system that lets owners switch between seating arrangements for three, four or five people.
- All Pioneer 1000 models come equipped with 27 in. tires. The Deluxe and LE models come standard with premium Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires, featuring radial construction for exceptional ride comfort and traction.
- Standard on the five-person non-LE models (and available as an accessory for the three-person models) is a self-leveling rear suspension system, which automatically maintains the appropriate ride height when fully loaded, thereby maximizing ride comfort and maintaining consistent vehicle handling.
- Pioneer 1000 EPS and all Pioneer 1000-5 models come with a sophisticated Electric Power Steering system (EPS) that reacts to both vehicle speed and steering input, delivering precise driving feedback while also reducing steering effort (and thus driver fatigue). This is true even with the front differential locked, as kickback at the steering wheel is reduced in technical terrain.
- Tilt steering on all models with EPS.
A variety of Honda Accessory packages are available to customize three- and five-person Pioneer 1000 models: All Weather, Trail, Hunting, Work, Protection, Custom. New for 2017: Front Fender Flares, FOX shocks, Under Seat Storage (except Deluxe), Under Dash Storage Pocket (except Deluxe).
- Meets current CARB and EPA off-road emissions standards
- Recommended for Drivers 16 years of age and older
Connect with Everyman Driver: