Pathfinder, one of Nissan’s best known and most popular nameplates in its nearly 60-year history in the United States, is reborn for the 2017 model year with more adventure capability, a freshened exterior look and enhanced safety and technology – pure Pathfinder taken to an even higher level of performance, technology and style.
The changes for the new model year begin from the A-pillars forward – both with revised sheet metal and the re-engineered 3.5-liter V6 under the new hood design. The new Pathfinder engine utilizes more than 56 percent new or new-to-Pathfinder engine parts and components – including combustion chamber design, pistons, intake manifold and e-VTC (fully electronic on intake).
The engine’s new Direct Injection Gasoline™ (DIG) system, which is also utilized on the all-new flagship Nissan Armada full-size SUV, provides better wide-open throttle performance and emissions performance (versus a non-direct-injection system). Horsepower for the new V6 increases to 284 hp (from the previous 260 hp) and torque is now rated at 259 lb-ft (up from 240 lb-ft).
While adding more horsepower and torque, Pathfinder fuel economy remains 20 mpg city, 27 mpg highway and 23 mpg combined (2WD models) (estimated). Maximum towing capacity has increased by 1,000 pounds to a best-in-class* 6,000 pounds (when properly equipped).
All 2017 Pathfinder models are equipped with Nissan’s third-generation Xtronic transmission (similar to that utilized in the sporty Nissan Maxima). The Xtronic transmission includes D-Step Logic Control, which simulates shifts, giving a more natural acceleration feeling. As in previous years, Pathfinder also features selectable 2WD, Auto or 4WD Lock modes from the available intuitive ALL-MODE 4×4-i system.
The new Pathfinder powertrain helps provide real world driving benefits of more responsive acceleration and re-acceleration, such as when entering highways or passing. Also contributing to the enhanced driving dynamics are the extensively retuned 4-wheel independent suspension – offering improved body control and refined ride – and revised hydraulic electric steering system that provides an improved cornering feel (versus the 2016 Pathfinder).
As for Pathfinder’s refreshed exterior, it provides a stronger sense of adventure character and presence by adding Nissan signature design elements, such as the new “V-Motion” grille and boomerang-shaped headlights with LED daytime running lights. New LED headlights are standard on the Pathfinder Platinum grade. Other exterior enhancements include new front bumper, fog lights, outside rearview mirrors with integrated turn signals and new 18-inch and 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheel designs. In the rear, changes include new taillight and bumper designs. These changes help optimize air flow around the exterior, with the coefficient of drag now 0.326 (down from 0.34).
Another significant addition for 2017 is the available Motion-Activated liftgate with liftgate position memory, which is standard on SL and Platinum grades. A simple wave of the foot under the center of the liftgate activates the power opening function. Completing the exterior makeover are two new exterior colors – Sandstone and Caspian Blue. Nine exterior colors are available in total.
Pathfinder’s stylish, adventure-ready interior includes comfortable seating for seven, enhanced user friendliness and updated connectivity features. As in previous years, every 2017 Pathfinder interior is anchored by Nissan’s innovative EZ Flex Seating System™ with LATCH AND GLIDE™, a 2nd row tilt and glide seat that allows easy 3rd row access with a child safety seat still installed.
A wide range of seating and cargo carrying combinations are available with the 2nd row 60/40-split seat with manual slide/recline/fold flat and 3rd row 50/50-split seat with manual recline/flat fold. New cloth seat fabric is added for S and SV grades, along with new interior finishers for SL and Platinum grade levels. Leather-appointed seating is standard on SL and Platinum models. Heated and Cooled front seats, heated rear seats and heated steering wheel are also available. Other enhancements for 2017 include a new center console design with an illuminated front storage bin and redesigned cupholder size and shape.
For 2017, Pathfinder adopts new-generation information technology. The standard Advanced Drive-AssistÔ Display (ADAD), located in the center of the instrument display between the tachometer and speedometer, features additional infotainment and driver assistance displays (versus the 2016 Pathfinder design).
The standard 8.0-inch touch-screen monitor, mounted in the middle of the instrument panel, provides intuitive interaction and control of a variety of driver-selectable vehicle systems and settings – including the available NissanConnectSM Navigation. Offered as standard equipment on Pathfinder Platinum and optional on SV and SL grades, the system includes Voice Recognition for navigation, including one-shot voice destination entry, and SiriusXM® Traffic® with three years of complimentary service**.
NissanConnect Services powered by SiriusXM®** features automatic collision notification, emergency call and stolen vehicle locator, customizable alerts, dealer service scheduling and maintenance alerts. It comes standard on Platinum grade and optional on SV and SL grades.
The 2017 Pathfinder’s wide range of available convenience features and driving aids also includes standard Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio**, Tri-Zone Automatic Climate Control, RearView Monitor, and available 13-speaker Bose® Premium Audio system, Family Entertainment Package with dual headrest 8.0-inch DVD monitors, Nissan Intelligent Key® with programmable settings, Remote Engine Start***, Dual Panorama Moonroof and Easy-Fill Tire Alert.
Advanced Driver Assistance technology includes new Forward Emergency Braking (FEB) and Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC). For 2017, Moving Object Detection has been added to the available Around View® Monitor (AVM). Also offered are Blind Spot Warning (BSW) and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA).
Highlights of the 2017 Nissan Pathfinder include:
- Major exterior redesign for 2017 with aggressive new styling featuring more adventure-style character and presence
- Bold new front end with signature LED boomerang headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights
- Available LED headlights (Platinum grade)
- Available halogen fog lights
- New Nissan signature V-Motion grille design
- New hood and front bumper – projecting a wider stance and look
- Revised taillight and rear bumper design, presenting a more detailed, precision appearance
- Revised front chin spoiler and radiator grille for enhanced aerodynamics
- Front (chin) and rear (roof) spoilers, rear tire deflectors and rear suspension fairing
- 0.326 coefficient of drag
- Open upper cabin with low beltline and thin A- and D-pillars
- Long wheelbase, short front and rear overhangs
- Chrome grille, front and rear door handles and front and rear fascia accents
- Body color bumpers and outside mirrors with integrated turn signals on all grade levels
- Available heated outside mirrors and mirror reverse synch
- Black roof molding, available chrome bodyside molding
- UV-reducing solar glass, rear privacy glass
- Auto on/off headlights with auto hazard system (linked to front wipers with twilight detection) – standard on SV models and above
- Available Dual Panorama Moonroof with one-touch open/close controls (front), manual front sunshade and rear roof glass with power sunshade (standard on Platinum)
- Available Motion-Activated liftgate with liftgate position memory (standard on SL and Platinum grades)
- Standard painted roof rails and available cross bars
- Nine available exterior colors – Midnight Jade, Brilliant Silver, Gun Metallic, Magnetic Black, Cayenne Red, Pearl White, Glacier White and new Sandstone and Caspian Blue
Engine and Driveline
- New 3.5-liter DOHC V6 producing 284 horsepower (increase of 24 hp) and 259 lb-ft of torque (increase of 19 lb-ft) – resulting in enhanced 0–60 mph acceleration, re-acceleration response and higher torque throughout the rev range
- More than 56 percent new or new-to-Pathfinder engine parts and components – including combustion chamber design, pistons, intake manifold and e-VTC (fully electronic on intake)
- New Direct Injection Gasoline™ (DIG) system, which provides better wide-open throttle performance and emissions performance (versus a non-direct-injection system) by reducing engine knock, improving combustion stability and offering precise injection control
- 11.0:1 compression ratio
- Aluminum block and heads with new mirror bore cylinder coating (reduces weight and friction)
- Microfinished crankshaft and camshaft, resin-coated pistons, Nissan variable Induction Control System (NICS), Continuous Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS)
- Third-generation Xtronic transmission (similar to Nissan Maxima design) with D-Step Logic Control, which simulates shifts, giving a more natural acceleration feeling without holding a high rpm constant, letting rpms build as speed builds; high final gear ratio of 5.250
- Fuel economy of 20 mpg city, 27 mpg highway and 23 mpg combined (2WD models) (estimated)
- Available intuitive All-Mode 4×4-i system with 2WD/AUTO/4WD Lock modes
- Standard 2-wheel or 4-wheel active brake limited slip (ABLS)
- Standard Hill Start Assist and Hill Descent Control (4WD only)
- Available tow hitch receiver, trailer harness and finisher (standard on Platinum)
- Increased towing capacity – up to 6,000-pounds (when properly equipped) for all grade levels (SAE J2807 compliant)
Suspension, Steering and Braking
- Durable unibody construction
- Revised suspension for enhanced driving dynamics
- Stiffer front and rear springs for improved roll and pitch/bounce motion control (versus previous design), rebound springs added to front struts
- Independent strut front suspension with stabilizer bar
- Multi-link rear suspension with stabilizer bar
- Twin tube shock absorbers with dual flow path
- Hydraulic electric speed-sensitive power-assisted steering
- 4-wheel vented disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
- New design 18-inch machined aluminum-alloy wheels with light gun metallic paint finish, 235/65R18 all-season tires
- Available new design 20-inch machined aluminum-alloy wheels with light gun metallic paint finish, 235/55R20 all-season tires (standard on Platinum)
- Modern interior design with 7-passenger seating
- 6-way manual driver’s seat and manual lumbar support, 4-way manual front passenger seat
- Available 8-way power driver’s seat and 2-way power lumbar support, 4-way power front passenger’s seat
- Available leather-appointed 1st and 2nd row seating and 1st row power memory seats
- New cloth seat materials (S and SV grades)
- Available Heated and Cooled front seats
- Standard 2nd row 60/40-split seat with manual slide/recline/fold flat
- Standard 3rd row 50/50-split seat with manual recline/flat fold
- EZ Flex Seating SystemÔ with 3rd row access from 2nd row walk-in function and LATCH AND GLIDE™ child safety seat slide functionality (on passenger side seat)
- Advanced Drive-AssistÔ Display (ADAD) with additional infotainment and driver assistance displays (version 2016 Pathfinder design)
- 8.0-inch color touch-screen monitor with WVGA display standard on all models
- Available heated steering wheel (standard on SL and Platinum models)
- Available NissanConnect Navigation including three years of SiriusXM® Traffic® service
- Available NissanConnect Services powered by SiriusXM®** (standard on Platinum model) with six-months complimentary service
- SiriusXM® Travel Link with three years of complimentary service**
- Standard Streaming audio via Bluetooth®
- Available Nissan Intelligent Key® with programmable settings
- Standard Push Button Ignition
- Standard Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System
- Available 13-speaker Bose® audio system with Acoustic Waveguide Subwoofer
- Standard SiriusXM® Satellite Radio**
- Power windows with driver/front passenger one-touch auto up/down with auto-reverse (driver’s side auto down only on S)
- Tri-Zone Automatic Climate Control, rear air conditioning
- Available HomeLink® Universal Transceiver
- Available Around View® Monitor with Moving Object Detection (MOD)
- Available Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC)
- Available dual head restraint-mounted DVD video entertainment system
- Available new wood-toned interior trim accents (Platinum grade)
- Available new metallic finish interior trim accents (SL grade)
- Redesigned center console
- Storage compartment under cargo floor, cargo area light
- Available remote engine start*** (standard on SV, SL and Platinum models)
- Two available interior colors – Charcoal and Almond (with contrasting black/beige materials) – with enhanced contrast and deeper color tones
Safety and Security
- Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (includes dual-stage front supplemental air bags with seat belt sensors and an occupant classification sensor)
- 3-point seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters
- Standard supplemental front seat-mounted side-impact air bags
- Standard roof-mounted supplemental curtain air bags for side-impact and rollover head protection for outboard passengers in all three rows (includes rollover sensor)
- 3-point seat belts for rear seat occupants, including 2nd row center position
- Standard Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) and Traction Control System (TCS)
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) – 2nd row outboard seating positions only
- Child safety rear door locks
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with standard Easy-Fill Tire Alert, available independent tire pressure monitoring (SV and above)
- Available Blind Spot Warning (BSW)
- Available Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Available Forward Emergency Braking (FEB)
Models and Manufacturing
- Available in 4WD and 2WD drive configurations and in four models: S, SV, SL and Platinum
- Assembled by Nissan North America manufacturing Smyrna & Decherd, Tennessee plants
You can follow Everyman Driver on our Instagram account.
Wanna support the production of our weekly videos! Sure ya do! We’d appreciate it!!!